Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Washout That Was Fashion Night Out

For the past month, I‘ve been anticipating the date of September 8, 2011.  Why do you ask? Is it my birthday? No, but it is a very special day.  Not only is it my mother’s birthday, it’s a day that only comes once a year - the phenomenon known in the fashion circles as Fashion’s Night Out (FNO).  It’s the nocturnal, shopping party that’s celebrated all across the globe.  Coincidentally, FNO also coincides with the start of New York Fashion Week and the kickoff for the fall fashion season. 


This year marked the third annual FNO, but what made this year even more special was that the first ever Fashion’s Night Out PLUS was introduced.  That’s right the full figured fashionista…or as I affectionately call them– FATshionistas were finally being included.  In the words of celebrity gossip personality Perez Hilton “fashion is such a fun and wonderful art, but it shouldn’t be limited to skinny bitches.  Lucky for me, one of the official FNOP events was being held right here in the DMV, hosted at BeautyFull Boutique in Old Town Alexandria.  As soon as I found out about the event, I quickly RSVP’d to attend.

The evening of FNO/P, I got dolled up, even put on some heels, and set out to the event.  As fate would have it, the DMV was in the midst of yet another weather related disaster.  Forecasters were calling for flash flooding all across the region thanks to Tropical Depression Lee.  A ride that normally would take 20 minutes, turned into a 5 hour nightmare, complete with me almost running out of gas, as the inner and outer loops of the Beltway were shut down. As the clock struck 9:00pm, and traffic still gridlocked, I soon realized that my evening was going from FAB to FIZZLE thanks to the flooding in Northern Virginia.   By 10:00pm, the Beltway was reopened, and I made my way to Alexandria for gas and a restroom stop.  Afterwards, I made my way home soaked and disappointed that I missed the fashion event of the season.  For me, FNO 2011 was a complete bust and a washout! L

When I started brainstorming on this week’s blog posting, I envisioned it to be very different.  I planned to rave about the boutique, the fashions I saw, the hors d'oeuvres I nibbled, the champagne or wine I sipped, and the purchases I made.  Instead, still with disappointment, I blog about the FNO that wasn’t, but luckily with the flip of the calendar, FNO will come around again – just 362 days to go!

~ The Plus Size Shopaholic~ Muah!
 


1 comment: