Monday, September 19, 2011

The Madhouse Created By Missoni

Four years ago, the retail giant Target came up with a brilliant marketing plan, one that offered high-end luxury goods at affordable prices – Designer Collaborations. Target has teamed up with Isaac Mizrahi, Alexander McQueen, Jean-Paul Gaultier, and a few others to offer their brands to consumers with modest shopping budgets.  All of these collaborations were limited in availability and merchandise.  They came and went without the blink of an eye.  Although these partnerships were successful, nothing compares to the anticipation of Target’s latest Designer Collaboration – Missoni for Target.


I first started hearing the buzz mid-summer.  Target was joining forces with the Italian fashion house Missoni.  Founded in Varese, Italy in 1953, Missoni is famous for it knitwear which feature colorful geometric, strip, and abstract patterns.  Sold worldwide, Missoni boast average revenue of $60M and as of two years ago, have ventured into the real property market with Hotel Missoni currently with locations in the UK and Kuwait, and other projects under construction in Oman, Turkey, and Brazil.  Yes, Missoni is MAY-JAH!

On Tuesday, September 13, 2011, The Missoni for Target line finally launched, offering 400 products ranging from houseware, clothing, bedding, to even a bicycle, and ranging from prices as low as $2.99 to $599.99.  I had been warned that the line was expected to sellout in 24 hours, so I had planned on logging on to www.target.com to purchase a scarf and a pair of ballet flats, but the Benadryl I took earlier that evening put me on a train to Slumberland.  The next morning, I tried logging on to www.target.com and was greeted by the Target Dog, announcing that the website was down due to high traffic volume.  By late morning, the Target Dog was still on the splash page announcing that Target was suddenly popular and the site was still down.  Are you serious? Is the question I thought to myself as I had never known this to happen to http://www.target.com/.  Not even on Black Friday, http://www.target.com/ has never ever crashed! Dammit!!

As soon as the clock struck noon, I was out the door, and on my way to the nearest Target to my job.  Alas, when I arrived, I was greeted by empty racks and display cases.  Target was cleaned out!  The only remnants of Missoni were the signs indicating that products once lined the shelves.  I quickly asked a sales clerk if there was anything left in the back. No - was the answer I got. I then asked where the next nearest Target was.  The sales clerk told me that it didn’t matter because they had been receiving calls all morning asking what merchandise they still had in stock from other Target stores who were also sold out.  The sales clerk then proceeds to detail their morning of having shoppers lined up before the store opened to purchase Missoni merchandise.  You have got to be kidding me!  This is turning out to be bigger than I thought.  If I missed this Designer Collaboration because of the early morning rush of shoppers I am going to be a very unhappy camper.  Defeated, I headed back to work.

For the rest of the afternoon, I was preoccupied with planning my strategy on how I was going to get my scarf and ballet flats.  I had reached a shopaholic’s level of urgency, similar to that of our military’s DEFCON 4.  I was on high alert. Quitting time came and I again set out on my Missoni Mission.  I had a plan to hit the Targets in southeastern PG and Charles Counties.  I was not going home until I got my purchases, and lucky for me, I hit jackpot at the very first Target I visited since my disastrous afternoon attempt.  Although the pickings were slim, I was able to get my ballet flats and a knitted scarf.  I would have LVoe’d a silk one, but beggars can’t be choosy.  


I returned home a very happy camper.  I came, I shopped, I conqued! Unfortunately, not all Missoni seekers were as lucky. While shopping I listened to the combat stores of other customers as they spoke of frantically driving from location to location looking for clothes and shoes in their size to no avail.  Even a news story featured on a local news station later that night mentioned the madhouse created by Missoni at various Target stores in the DMV.  By the next day, most Missoni merchandise was sold out in stores and online.  If you were not lucky enough to get your items the first day, forget it.  Although I am doubtful that these items will be restocked as they were advertised as only being available from September 13, 2011 – October 22, 2011 or as long as supplies lasts, I am doubtful anyone wanting to make a purchase will be lucky enough to get anything at this point, except for maybe on http://www.ebay.com/ as many items have resurfaced there for twice the amounts advertised by Target.  If you are lucky enough to find Missoni for Target in an out of the way Target location, I say snatch up as much as you can because you will never be able to snag a pair of Missoni ballet flats for $22.99 (or $14.99 for the knitted scarf) ever again, but if you’re like me, where there is a shopper’s will, there’s a way.  Good luck and Godspeed!

Until the next Designer Collaboration.....

Happy Shopping ~ The Plus Size Shopaholic~  Muah!


No comments:

Post a Comment