Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Junior Fatshionista


One thing we can all agree on is the progress of the plus size fashion industry over the past 20 years.  I remember when I hit puberty and the pounds started creeping on, (thus creating a trend).  Luckily, I wasn’t one of those kids who was bullied and picked on because there were kids far chunkier than I, but anyway, my biggest problem during those years was the lack of trendy clothes that was offered by the few plus size retailers at that time.  Back then, there was Lane Bryant and the Avenue, but their clothes were nowhere as fashionable as they are today, and also, there was 16 Plus. *sighs*  The only place where I could remotely find anything similar to what my peers were wearing was at Gallo, the $10.00 store, and even their clothes weren’t that trendy, but it was a far cry from the Jacque & Coko line at Lane Bryant.  What pissed me off with having to shop there was that I had to pass all the cute clothes offered only in straight sizes as I made my way to the back of the store where the plus sizes were kept.  So aside from having to shop like Rosa Parks in the back of the store, I had to sift through all the floral print shit to find something remotely wearable for a teenager.  Thank God with the progression of the plus size industry those days are long gone….or so I thought.
I have a niece who is following in my wide footsteps.  She’s currently at the age of puberty and her sedentary lifestyle is causing her to put on a few extra pounds.  As I’m sure my parents were with me at that age, I was a tad bit frustrated this past Christmas shopping season as I couldn’t find anything decent for her to wear.  The junior sizes were too small and the women sizes were too big.  *sigh* Somewhere in the recesses of my brain I knew there were places for me to shop for her, but since I never have to go to these places to shop for myself, they never entered my mind.  So after a few days and several failed shopping attempts, I took to the internet to find suitable items for her.  Below are the sites I found which offer the trendiest junior plus size fashions:

Loop 18 (subsidiary of Lane Bryant) which offer junior plus sizes in 13-27


Faith 21 (subsidiary of Forever 21) which offer junior plus sizes in X-LG – 3X


Deb which offer junior plus sizes in 14-24


I'm pretty sure there are other junior plus size retailers out there but these are the ones that in my opinion have that cutest clothes.  I really wish I had these places to shop at when I was in junior/senior high school.  You would not have been able to touch me with a red hot hammer!
Happy Shopping my Junior Fatshionistas

~ The Plus Size Shopaholic ~ Muah!






No comments:

Post a Comment